Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Up, Up and Away to the Land of the Long White Cloud









In the last week we have:
  • Watched a 40 foot container drive off with all of our stuff, expected to arrive in early October.
  • Said goodbye to our 2 kitties, Artemis and Chai, until they can fly to NZ and quarantine in October. M and I had to go over to our dear friend's house to get Chai out of a basement ceiling where she had been hiding for 24 hours.  
  • Said good-byes to our Portland peeps and my mom/beloved Oma to my children
  • Spent time with my sister, my nephew and his wife and their two kids and helped my sister move while wildfires burned around us.  
That last one seems like a fitting metaphor for our departure from the USA.  I think both Mike and I have been worried about whether something might go horribly wrong as we got closer to our travel date whether that be on a macro level (Trump always brings some kind of fresh hell to each day) or in our own little microcosm.  We had an iPhone go on the fritz (my nephew had a spare one), I made a wrong reservation for a rental car (but remedied that easily), we barely fit everything on the container but..... we are about to board the plane here in San Fran. 

Flying during this pandemic is absolutely eerie.  The international terminal, usually bustling with travelers, is a ghost town.  We are disheartened to hear about a small but notable surge in Covid cases in the Auckland area but still feeling a sense of relief at our decision.  

We will write more from quarantine.  Until then...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment