Monday, November 29, 2021

Fishing, but not really

I've been an avid fly fisher for over two decades.  I've been to a lot of beautiful areas with the purported excuse of "going fishing".  Most of the times, I catch some fish but it's always just part of the package of taking a slightly more complicated walk.  Today, I didn't catch any fish.  As a matter of fact, I only saw one fish, which for New Zealand can sometimes be considered a respectable fishing day.  Today's highlight was inadvertently stumbling upon a colony of black-fronted terns.  This bird is endemic to New Zealand and is considered a rarer cousin to the white-fronted tern.  They had a number of nests scattered across the river bed where I was prowling and they got justifiably agitated as I got closer and closer to the individual nests.   I quickly snapped a picture and continued on my way.  It was a great day, even without the fish.



The weather was perfect.  The water was high.  That's my excuse for not catching any fish.




The reason for all the distress.




They did not want me getting any closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment