Sunday, February 21, 2010

Notes on Coffee in New Zealand

Being a bit of a coffee snob, I am naturally quite picky about any coffee that passes my lips. I prefer it to be fair trade, organic and STRONG (so I am a dark roast kinda girl.) In Portland, I was a die-hard Stumptown fan. I start to drool just thinking about smelling the grinding of Stumptown beans and a latte or fresh cuppa made from their magnificent beans.

But I do have to admit....I am a sucker for a Starbucks iced-grande-3 pump chocolate-mocha-with whip.
Now, that said, I do like iced mochas from other places. New Seasons (our local grocery store in Portland) made a mean iced mocha with Dagoba chocolate sauce and Stumptown coffee and I felt good supporting the locals. But I still (guiltily) enjoyed my Starbucks iced mochas on occasion.

So, being in New Zealand, I have learned about Flat Whites (which frankly, are the same as lattes but the kiwis swear there is a difference) and Mochaccinos. And there are a good number of decent organic and fair trade coffee roasters around like Hummingbird Coffee. I have set out to support the locals here, as I did in Oregon, and I have mostly succeeded. We have a number of nice coffee shops just around the corner from our house (Silverbacks and Zeroes are two of my faves) But.....well...now here is where I complain.

Kiwis don't know how to make an iced coffee drink.

An "iced coffee" gets you ice cream blended with instant coffee and ice. Blech! An "iced mocha" gets you ice cream blended with instant coffee and powdered chocolate and ice. Double blech! I mean, let's call it what it is people. It is a milkshake. Having made the mistake of ordering an "iced coffee" here, I have asked for a flat white on ice only to have it reluctantly made and handed to me with quite the puzzled look. When I have ordered my coffee this way, it tastes alright but I find myself yearning for a Starbucks.

Fortunately (?) there are 3 Starbucks in Christchurch where I can indulge in my drink of choice. I only go on occasion and I feel a pang of guilt every time I partake of one. But oh, dear lord, it is a real iced mocha and it lets me forget for a while that the kiwis don't quite have it right with this iced coffee thing.

3 comments:

  1. I used to have the worst time getting drip coffee there, as opposed to french press. I couldn't even buy a filter to make it with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, you're leaving me in the DUST when you get to talking that way!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I relate so completely it scares me...I have been in Malaysia for 8 months and I now feel no guilt for my frequent visits to Starbucks for an iced Americano. In the beginning, I felt guilt pangs, wanting to support the local companies- but there are not any here...and Nescafe does not cut it! So my friends...drink away- Starbucks- whatever to bring you that cozy delight of a coffee worth sipping. When we return to oregon, we can support our local shops and vendors....but I am with you- right there with you!

    ReplyDelete